- Come see Chief Mechanic Jon Scieszka in person!
- Follow Jon Scieszka and David Shannon on the Guys With Books tour!
100,000 Book Giveaway
Jon Scieszka and Simon & Schuster have teamed up with Cheerios® and First Book to distribute 100,000 new books to kids in need across the country. Through the 100,000 Book Giveaway, the five states receiving the highest number of votes will each receive 20,000 new books for local kids!
By answering the trivia questions featured in the challenge, you can help select the states that will receive new books for local kids. For every trivia question you answer correctly, you can cast one vote for the state you want to receive new books. The more questions you answer correctly, the more votes you cast! Visit www.firstbook.org/scieszka today to be a part of the 100,000 Book Giveaway!
Spoonful of Stories
Beginning in October 2009, Cheerios® is again bringing books to the breakfast table, by providing six million children’s books free inside Cheerios® boxes. The books are for children ages 3 to 8 years old, and include a brand new book in the “Trucktown” series, Junkyard Fort, available only inside Cheerios® boxes. Join Gabriella, Jack, Melvin, Ted, Lucy and the other Trucktown characters as they make their own fort, using things found in the junkyard. This bilingual edition of Junkyard Fort has been specially printed in both English and Spanish.
Information and activities related to the books are online at www.spoonfulsofstories.com.
Check out the coverage of Trucktown and its mechanics:
- Librarian of Congress Appoints Author Jon Scieszka Inaugural National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature – Library of Congress
- Turning Boys into Readers – Learning First Alliance
- Awesome Ambassador for Young People’s Literature – International Reading Association
- Craziness required – Los Angeles Times
- Author's mission is child's play – The Miami Herald
- Keep on Truckin'– New York Times Book Review
"The first book in the series, Smash! Crash!, is as rowdy and colorful as anything he’s written...Though digitally rendered, [the images] retain an appealing sketchy quality, and their bright primary colors are as insistent as wrapping paper is to a 3-year-old."
- Stinky Cheese! Ambassador for Children’s Literature –New York Times
- A Laureate for Kids (It's OK to Laugh) – Newsweek.com
- Children's Literature Gets First Ambassador – NPR
- The Big Cheese: Jon Scieszka, National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature – School Library Journal